Propane is one of the easiest-to-use and economical forms of fuel. It is used in a number of ways that makes it vital for the proper functioning of many households throughout the globe. Additionally, since it is safe and affordable, it can be used for many kinds of portable heating and power.
It is used for various purposes, such as in-vehicle engines, generators, stoves, heating systems, portable propane grills, etc. However, after some time, the tank will be used up. When this happens, you should consider whether to replace the tank with a new one or simply have it refilled.
But, the main thing you should think about is the price of propane tanks.
Average Cost of the Propane Tank
Most propane traders would offer installment, renting or leasing to the homeowner, and maintain a propane storage tank at the residence. In some cases, the tank is free if the homeowner purchases more than the minimum amount of the tank annually. The minimum could range from 120 gallons to 1,500 gallons, depending on the tank size and location.
According to Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources, the propane tank cost per gallon would range from $1.59 to $4.85, with an average cost of $3.07. This data was based on telephone surveys about propane provider made to Massachusetts households.
However, at Thrifty Propane, they have a wider range of prices which vary on the tank size, season and economic conditions. Take a look at the table below to get a rough idea of the propane tank cost.
Thrifty Propane Costing:
120 gallon horizontal
120 gallon vertical
- Note that propane tanks that are for lease could be pre-owned and their refurbished tanks arrive with a new valve and new paint, with a ten-year warranty
Propane Tanks can be kept above and below the ground, in a way that is unlikely to cause or lead to any harm. Above-ground locations are the most common way that they are installed, especially since most are leased from the propane company.
Installment Cost breakdown:
We will look at the materials and propane tank cost for the 150-gallon above ground installation at a residential site.
- The tank will be installed for around $105, with the yearly lease of $135 if it is signed and contracted.
- 2 concrete pad for the tank, which will need to be around 1.1 yards each, at $80 a piece
- A new meter will average $75
- Gas line will price around $5 for every foot installed
Where to Buy Propane Tanks
Propane Tanks can be bought at a variety of places. Below are several of the key places for buying propane tanks:
- Some of the best tank vendors are home centers like Lowe’s and Home Depot, along with other retail home improvements stores. They usually stock propane tanks that are ready to be filled.
- Gas stations and propane dealers are great places to purchase propane tanks, as are hardware shops.
- There are a significant number of direct suppliers of Propane tanks online. Some stores provide the price of large propane tanks and other sizes of propane tanks.
Things to Consider
- Some providers will sell tanks filled propane. Many times these tanks are bought for a one-time rental fee, and afterward, all that is paid is the cost of each refill. Meaning, you will return the empty tank, and they will give you a full one, and you will pay only for the propane itself.
- Tanks are subject to the requirements of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). They are made to firm safety specifications that help safeguard the people from harm. The fuel is somewhat volatile, so you should follow all proper precautions when handling it. Do not try to alter or fix propane tanks – just let a licensed pro handle it. Only refill the propane tanks if you are certain you know how to perform it.
- Swapping a tank is not the only the solution. You can also have your tank refilled. This way is sometimes cheaper and has the extra benefit of not disposing of any unutilized propane that may be left in your tank. Propane suppliers, gas stations, and campgrounds are some of the places where this may be performed. So you can spend a small amount extra for the convenience of the exchange, or have it refilled and save some money.
- Propane tanks are an excellent solution for outdoor cooking, heating, and barbecuing, as well as other household needs. They are easy to locate and buy at a local store or online.
- Be a knowledgeable consumer and ensure you have all the data for purchasing, refilling, and safety.
- For Propane, makes sure you have the information on buying, refilling, and security. If you use it responsibly, propane tanks will offer you with a useful, cheap, and flexible fuel source.
If you’re searching for the best price of propane tanks, it is recommended refill a tank instead of exchanging it. You will pay a surcharge for the convenience.
Keep in mind that it is important to have knowledge about propane tanks before you rush out and purchase one. The best source of information is your gas provider. They will give you every detail you need to know to make a decision.
They have the knowledge about matters like the price of propane tanks, usage, installation, storage, pipelines, and safety measures.
You need to understand before you get propane gas in your home. Performing a bit of research and examinations does not hurt and is going to save you time and cash.